Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Worst Book Ever

Well, I just read the most horrible train wreck of a book ever written.

This woman kept a diary of her life working in different brothels, and then somehow, she got it published.

I got the book for 50 cents at the discount bookstore, so I guess I should have known it was going to be terrible. Although it's true that I didn't realize at the time that it would also be so disturbing.

I never knew life could be so bad if you worked in a really run down brothel.

For instance, all I knew before about brothels before came from that TV show on Showtime; I think it is, called, 'The Bunny Ranch' or something like that.

I guess the Bunny Ranch is an upscale brothel, and not a run down, nasty brothel.

Brothels can get bad, I guess.

This woman worked in all the run down brothels in Nevada.

The types of brothels this woman worked at were all in little trailers, surrounded by barbwire fencing and set way back in some deserted area.

I guess as a prostitute, you're not really supposed to go into town. So, you have to pay some person to buy you groceries and things. It kind of makes the prostitutes 'shut in', if you know what I mean.

Some brothels will pay for your room and board, but other brothels wont.

I guess it's actually kind of expensive live in some brothels.

This lady worked in all the bad brothels, and also in a few okay brothels, but definitely for sure not in any of the more upscale brothels.

From her diary, it sounded a bit like she was some kind of a captive animal. For instance, every few days or so, they would let the prostitutes out to stand in the yard to get some air.

They were let out for about 20 minutes or so, and then brought right back in.

They weren't supposed to do drugs, and they had a doctor come to the brothel to check the women for sexually transmitted diseases, like, once a week.

It was the worst book I think I've ever read.

The woman in the book says that working in a brothel is much safer than working the streets though, so I guess in some ways, it was a step up for her.

However, since the prostitutes weren't allowed to leave the brothel, she said disturbing things about how she would cut pictures out of the phone book to make pretty posters for her walls. And that she made a dress once out of a string of beads she'd found and an old pillow case.

It was horrible.

The worst part of the whole thing though, I think, was that hookers working in a brothel will sometimes try to get out of paying the Madam by hiding money in certain orifices.

So before they can leave the brothel, they all had to bend over, and be checked to see if they had money stashed in in different parts of their bodies.

I'm not making this up.

The last chapter of the book focused on how hard it was to live outside the brothel. She mentioned like, 60 times that she thought she needed a therapist.

I'm pretty damn sure she needs a therapist too.

I mean, there's gotta be a better job opportunities out there for her. There just has to be.

No comments:

Blog Archive