Thursday, March 27, 2008

Oops!

So I went to my step cousin's wedding reception, and while I was there, I made a giant error.

Not only did I accidentally knock several glass lids onto the floor (luckily they didn't break) I also forgot an important fact.

There is this lady who I know, who was married to her cousin at one time.

However, I forgot that important fact this afternoon.

So, I was sitting at the table, eating a burger and talking to this woman who seemed nice enough.

She informed me that she was the bride's great aunt.

I was like, "Well that's nice. Good for you. Blah, blah, blah, etc. . . etc."

Then, later, the lady in question and her new husband, informed me that the woman who I had been talking to is 'odd'.

She is rather off, they said.

Not nasty, but not all that nice.

Not sane, but not insane.

So I was just like, "Well, she seemed alright to me."

Then the lady in question leaned in and told me that woman was her ex husband's mother.

So I was just like, "What are you talking about? I thought she told me she was your aunt."

"She is." The lady said, and then looked away.

And I was just like, "Oh yeah, right, I forgot, your cousin is your ex. Moving right along. . . . "

I was just trying to keep who was who in check. You know, in order to determine who's the aunt, who's the grandma, and things like that.

But sometimes, it's important to remember that you can offend and make people feel mighty uncomfortable on accident doing things like that.

You have to remember the details. How people are related, and in what ways is no laughing matter sometimes.

I should keep an index card of all the things I need to remember so that I can have better manners in the future.

No comments:

Blog Archive