I was reading an article in 'Psychology Today', about how the urge to write is now classified as an honest to God mental illness.
I can't remember what they call the disorder, but it's a real condition and a lot of people suffer from it.
Apparently, if you have the disorder badly enough, you can even get medication to help you control your writing problem.
The article quoted one woman who had to get up in the middle of the night to write things. She'd wake up, and the compulsion to write would be so strong, she'd write on her bedroom walls, or all over her arms and legs.
I'm not that bad, but I do lay awake at night composing different blog entries in my head.
Sometimes I'll get up to write them, and sometimes I'll make myself fall asleep and then have weird dreams.
My writing problem is a bad one, but I feel better since I switched to typing on the computer. Back when all I had was a journal to write in, my thumb was giving me great pain due to, I think, some sort of thumb arthritis caused by holding my pen.
I also have a permanent lump on my ring finger from holding a pen.
For a while I was writing so much that I had to take a few days off from it because I was developing a shooting pain from my wrist to my elbow.
So I find that typing is much better than writing with a pen.
I feel sorry for all the great poets and writers from the past because I'll bet they all had really messed up hands and arms.
The way a peson writes though is different depending on what medium they use.
Writing with pen and paper is far more personal than typing.
This blog isn't like my journal, of course. It's really more of a weird article/commentary thing I've got going on. Every now and then I'll toss in a personal story or two, but for the most part I'm just rambling.
I don't usually even know what I'm going to write about until I sit down and start writing. Sometimes I even surprise myself.
I don't ever edit any of these blog posting either. This is Barbie writing at her worst.
I don't really know if I'm any good at writing, but I do enjoy writing a great deal.
I was kind of feeling bad that I've been doing nothing but sitting around and posting to my blog, but I think maybe it has been really good for me.
For instance, the more I realize how much I like writing, the more I think I should go and see if I can get into Grad school for Journalism.
I know that you haven't got to go to school to be a journalist, but you can get some great internships if you go that route, and the most important thing to have as a journalist is work experience.
It's how you get a great job writing a humor column.
I told my mom my plan and she told me that she always thought I'd grow up to write a humor column, like Dave Berry.
Mark Twain even started out as a Journalist. It's what inspired his book, "Innocence Abroad."
He wrote it because he was working as a travel journalist at the time.
The trouble with me and Mark Twain, though, is that I once read in a biography about Mark Twain that a psychic had told him that he would either be a famous lawyer, or a famous writer.
I was young when I read that, so I've had it in my head for a long time that a person could either go into law or else write books. I guess I thought that writing energy was the same as legal energy, that's really where my law school idea came from.
I also thought I might enjoy law school too, because there is a lot of writing and research involved, and I love to write and to research different topics, of course.
John Grisham started out as a lawyer. If I remember correctly, he hated it and was miserable. He would pass the time he had to spend each day on the train to work writing legal thrillers on his lap top computer, all while dreaming of becoming a famous writer.
I guess law doesn't really sound all that appealing. . . . . . .according to John Grisham, being a lawyer sucked.
I'll bet that I'd enjoy j school much more than I would law school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(81)
-
▼
March
(78)
- Why I’m Crazy
- I Don’t like The Randomness of Life
- What Are You talking About?
- The Saddest Movie Out there.
- Oops!
- Your diaper is not a pocket
- Bad Drivers
- The Most Harrowing Trip of My Life
- Number One and Number Two
- Bras
- An Exciting New Discovery
- 6 O’clock in the morning
- Someone is gonna get that guy, for sure
- Video Games and Violence on TV
- I gotta get some food
- Urban Sprawl
- Controversial Topics Make a Brief Reappearance
- Food
- Little Kids
- The Food where I live Is Getting Worse
- Post for my mom
- Bad News
- Shawshank Redemption
- TV
- ‘Nother mom story
- My Mom
- My readers are funny people
- Bad news for me
- ‘Art’ project stalled already
- The subdivision behind the house
- Art work
- My writing goal had been achieved.
- What would happen if I was famous?
- Reality TV
- Worst Book Ever
- I found Ram Dass on MySpace!
- The Perfect Crime
- On Writing
- Depressed
- Forced to go to the bookstore
- Psychics
- Have you ever maced yourself?
- But what can you spell with the letters: BBH?
- I wish Angelina Jolie Was My Mom
- If I was in charge
- Score!
- The lady with the gigantic breasts
- Pissing people off on accident. . . .It happens al...
- An Exciting Update
- I’m Stunned that People May Actually Be Reading My...
- The Reason Why Art Buchwald is awesome
- Why Angelina Jolie is awesome
- I’m like a trick-or-treating genius
- Don’t write naughty words on walls if you can’t spell
- Perfectly good sign of fate ruined by chickens
- Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi
- Stephen King
- Pregnant Chicks
- Why I’d never make it in the city
- My Brother’s Feet
- Telemarketers
- My Next Book
- E.J. tried to kill a duck!
- The time my math TA cracked up
- I miss the health food store!!!!
- The time the cops saved us from a raccoon
- Why Brad Pitt is my favorite famous person
- I don’t know why my roommates let me watch their kids
- My Job at the Health Food Store
- The only 'flat tire' I've ever had
- The time I got busted by the cops
- The time I got lost walking around the block
- I was tricked
- The time I got my eyebrows waxed
- Why I quit being a vegetarian
- Advice to all my readers
- The story of how my brother fixed my car
- My roomate's cat is a freak
-
▼
March
(78)
No comments:
Post a Comment