Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The time I got busted by the cops

So, my car was dead. I can't remember why, but someone was supposed to pick me up.

My being very independent made me feel as though I should start walking in their general direction, so that they might see me walking along side the road, and then we would cut the drive time. I thought this made sense at the time.

So, the people who were supposed to pick me up passed me, I guess they didn't see me.

I decided that since it was getting late, and the moon was out, and it was so beautiful along the lone country road where I was traveling that I'd just keep walking. I took off my shoes and I carried them in my hands while I walked barefoot through the grass and felt one with nature.
It was starting to get dark, and my ride wasn't coming for me. Because the stretch of road had few houses on it, anytime a car would pass, I'd slip in behind the trees, so as to avoid any chance of being kidnapped and killed.
So I'm walking along, right, minding my own business, when this lady pulls up in a huge SUV. Her window is rolled down, and I can here in her truck shouting into her phone,
"The suspect has been spotted. She's headed west down Watson Rd."
The lady then pulled her car in front of me at an angle, thus backing me up against the trees. In short, I was trapped.
"What the hell are you doing walking the dark?" She asked me.
I didn't have any real reason to be walking in the dark, and I didn't want to tell her my ride had passed me because I thought that made me sound stupid, so I told her I was going to see my friend Margaret.
"You can't walk in the dark!" The lady screamed, "It's too dangerous."
And then she looked at me again, and she noticed that I had no shoes on.
"Where the hell are your shoes?" She asked me.
"I was walking," I tried to explain, "When I realized that it would be nice to have no shoes on, on account of the soft grass beneath my feet."
"I my Good Lord," She said to me, "I'm calling the cops."
I was like, "Why lady?"
"Because," She said, "Someone could kill you."
So I was like, "Well, instead of calling the cops do you think you could just give me a ride home, then? If it's so important to you?"
"No," She said, and I quote, "What if you killed me?"
Then she got on her cell phone and called the police.
I just stood there, mostly in shock, but also confusion. The lady kept me backed up against the trees until the squad car came.
When the cop came, he got out of his car and asked to see my driver's license.
I was just like, "OK. . . " So I showed it to him.
I was then informed that I could get, "Blisters the size of quarters walking with no shoes on."
I was told to get into the squad car so that I could be driven home.
I got into the car, trying to explain to the officer that I had actually left my house during daylight hours, and that I didn't mean to walk until it got dark, it just kind of happened.
I was then driven home.
My brother was over visiting my neighbor. I guess everyone had been looking for me, and so when Josh saw me get out of the cop car he went running over to the cop to see what had happened.
Josh went up to the cop and he was like, "Did you just drop off my sister?"
And the cop was like, "Yeah,"
Josh was like, "Oh no, what did you get her for?"
The cop just said, "For walking."
I have actually been busted by the cops several times—all for no reason. Once, I got, "Pulled over" and investigated for sitting in a parked car while writing in my journal.
I've been busted for walking down the street with no shoes on, for walking my dog in the dark, and for trying to buy alcohol, even though I was 23 at the time.
I think I have received this harassment because my town is so small and we've got, like, 13 cops who have nothing to do. I'll bet if I lived in a big city, no cop would ever mess with me.

No comments:

Blog Archive