Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Selling your teeth

I was watching a special on the history channel about how these scientists and historians were trying to find out what George Washington looked like at the age of 25.

The whole endeavor seemed pointless and stupid to me.

At first, all I could think of was that I just hoped they didn't get a government grant in order to pursue their research.

Every time I see people getting grants for stupid research, I just start to thinking about how bad the Michigan economy is, and of how we should recall our governor, and then declare this place a state of emergency.

We need the government's help to save our state, and the government should not be wasting the precious funds that Michigan needs in order to figure out stupid shit, like what George Washington looked like at the age of 25.

Anyway, I was watching the show and getting kinda pissed, but I still learned a fact so graphic and horrific, I almost vomited into my own hand.

While they were talking about how George Washington would look different with teeth, and altering his face with a computer program, the researchers mentioned that dentures were made with real human teeth, back in Washington's day.

In fact, they would pay a person quit a bit for a tooth. Not a whole lot, but enough to get you through a cold winter.

Now, I know a lot of broke people. And when I heard the tooth thing, I just had this image flash before my eyes of a person I know with a pair of pliers, pulling out their own teeth.

I almost barfed.

Oh man, it would be horrible if they were still paying for teeth.

And I'll bet people used to pry teeth out of the mouths of dead bodies and sell the teeth. And people would hold you down, I'll bet, and rip out your teeth.

I'm making myself sick over here.

I'm just so glad that nobody who I know personally has ever taken a pair of pliers and pulled out their teeth so that they can sell them.

I mean, I know someone who sells her own plasma.

I know someone else who would love to sell one of her eggs, and anther person who is trying to figure out how to sell a testicle.

But thank God they're not jerking out their own teeth.

Oh, it was the grosses thing that ever flashed before my eyes.

The past is definitely a place that I am glad I'm not living in.

Long live the dentist! And dentures made of synthetic materials.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your whole blog. I like it.

Babs5005 said...

Wow, thank you Munchie. These are actually old blog posts that I took off my other blog. I've been keeping a blog for a long time, but since my other blog is set to private, I've decided to start a public one. This one with no personal information, on account of stalkers :P

Thanks for reading it! I can post a ton more blogs, but I wasn't sure if anyone was reading them or not.